There is no question that probiotics are good for you. These “good bacteria” live in our intestines and keep the “bad bacteria” in check. Probiotics have been extensively studied, which is why we know how they aid in nutrient absorption and digestion. They also help keep our immune system strong and functioning properly.
Probiotics are known to treat and even prevent infections such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), chronic diarrhea, vaginal infections, and urinary tract infections (UTI).
Probiotics naturally exist in your gut; however, supplementation is necessary if probiotics are low or have been depleted.
Reasons your body would be low on probiotics
- Antibiotic Use. Antibiotics help your immune system to destroy “bad” bacteria in your body. Unfortunately, they are unable to distinguish good bacteria from bad bacteria, so they destroy all bacteria. To re-introduce healthy flora into your system, you should take probiotic supplements after you have completed a round of antibiotic treatment.
- Ate something bad? It’s likely that bad bacteria have taken over the neighborhood perhaps due to food poising. Taking probiotic supplements is like handing out eviction notices to the bad bacteria that is making you feel miserable.
- Skin conditions such as acne, hives, rashes, psoriasis, and/or eczema may be due to an imbalance of bacteria in your gut. To clear up skin conditions from the inside out, it is advised to start taking probiotics while making some dietary changes such as reducing sugar consumption.
- Feeling excessively stressed? Anxious? Sad for no reason? It is possible that your intestinal flora is out of balance.
- Do you get the flu every year? Maxed out your paid sick time? Probiotics will give your immune system a much needed boost. A strong immune system is an effective defense against germs that lead to infections.
- If you get reoccurring yeast infections, it is a good sign that your body is overrun with bad bacteria. Probiotic supplements will be able to get things back in balance.
Don’t wait until you get sick to add probiotics to your daily routine, start taking it today. Call our office at (949) 650-0616 and we can help you get on a healthy vitamin and mineral regimen that will have you looking and feeling your absolute best – inside and out.